Monday, April 28, 2014

A short stop in Kaula Lumpur



The airport was very nice.  I got a visa on arrival that was completely hassle free.  I also managed to get a SIM and exchange money before I even picked up my bags.  I like ease of access in airports, more countries should practice this.  
 
outside my hotel
It is quite a way from the airport to the city center, so even though my flight got in a little bit after 8, I still didn’t get to my hotel until 11pm.  You know the usual waiting game, and the airport bus went to several places before it dropped me off in Padu, close to the city center.  What I didn’t know was that  the Pudu area is not the best place to be coming into so late.  Of course I had no idea, I did very little research when I was booking this part of my trip, because it wasn’t even supposed to happen.  It all happened because I almost over stayed my visa in Indonesia.  So instead of six hours in Kuala Lumpur I ended up with 27.  This was still not enough time to do everything I would have really liked, but enough to see the city sites.

 

Walking to the guest house was a bit sketchy.  I had propositions from the cab drivers and lots of cat calls.  I could blame this on my cute dress I was wearing, but let’s call it what it is: disrespect toward women.  I have been among friends in most of the countries you would expect this.  The last time I encountered blatant disrespect on that level was when I was 17, in Argentina.  I usually would just walk strong and flip them off (which I did once or twice), but when you don’t know where you are going sometimes you have to ask for directions.  When I got to my guest house the man at the desk was lovely, and showed me my room.  My room was small and a little worn, but you get what you pay for.  The shared bathroom/shower was more than a bit dirty.  *sigh* Research Miriah, usually you are so good at it.  So after locking my door I got a great 8 hours of sleep.

The morning consisted of getting out! But really, I washed up and ate some toast, then beelined it to China town.  I really liked walking around the market, especially the meat portion.  It smelled very interesting.  Not like rotten meat, just like raw things.  I’m glad I went so early in the morning as well, not all the venders were open, leaving me little to no hawking.  Yay!!!  




After that walk it was time to find an Indian restraint my friend suggested.  That took a bit of work, but on my way of getting lost I found some lovely old colonial buildings. The are Neo Moorish, and were built by the British in the early 20th century.  Basically Kaulua Lumpur is a hodge podge of many different kinds of architecture because of all the different influences it had over the ages.    A tourist center was located in this British area, and the lady inside headed me in the right direction. I guess there were quite a few museums in the area.

 Following  that detour, it only took me asking for directions two more times before I found heaven.  Jai Hind was a hole in the wall.  I usually wouldn’t have stopped, but it was recommended, and for good reason.  I got dale, aloo paratha, and tea taik.  Or in laymen’s terms; lentil curry, potato flat bread and milk tea.  It also came with a neat little side of pickled eggplant and a yogurt curry sauce that had a bit of a kick.  I think I ate it all in 5 minutes, and could have eaten another plate full.  

Afterward was another stroll, this time around little India.  In this area they were mostly selling hijabs and other Muslim women’s wear.  That got a bit boring, even though it was colorful, so I headed up to the Kuala Lumpur tower.  

I heard the Kuala Lumpur tower was better than going to the twin towers, even though it was pricier.  Getting there was strange.  It was surrounded by a park, so I thought I could just have a lovely stroll through the park up to the tower, but I was incorrect in assuming this.  There is only one entrance to the tower and it requires going all the way around, and then up a hill.  Once I got up there it was grand though.  In the lobby they had these spectacular ceilings, it looked like cut mirrors.  The elevator operator told us that it was a gift from Iran and made from sugar, glue and water.  Pretty nifty stuff.  At the top the view was spectacular.  I was lucky it was a sunny day, you could see for miles and there was only a little bit of interference from pollution and atmosphere.  I saw the towers, the sultan’s palace and the mountains.  I recommend everyone to go there. 

I hung out there for quite a while and then headed to the mall.  I know it’s a bit lame, but air-conditioning is a lovely thing.  In the mall I discovered (with help) an amazing book store.  This is the equivalent of Barns and Nobles.  I was in love!  I haven’t seen a book store with more than a small selection of English books in years.  (For some reason I never have time to go when I’m home).  I picked up only one book and some art supplies. 
 
 I also found and Auntie Anne’s in the mall, while looking for the post office.  Mmmm…. How could I pass that up?  They didn’t have yellow mustard, but gave me spicy cheese instead.  Meh, I just ate the buttery goodness solo.  The last thing of the day was to find a nail salon. Wedding nails are important too!

They day was nearly over, so it was time to head back to the hotel to pick up my bags.  My daytime journey was much more satisfying than the night time one.  The staff was super nice and helpful.  Although I would never stay there again because of the location, they earn brownie points for being so amiable.  I love a happy staff who are just as excited as you are to get your trip going and swap stories.

I headed out to the bus stop, which was 10 minutes away.  So I arrived quite early to get my ticket and make sure everything was in order to get to the airport on time.  While I was waiting, I was messing around on my phone and the bus left.  I was sitting right in front of the guys I booked the ticket with! Luckily there was a bit of traffic, so the bus stopped a block away and let me on.  Sometimes I am not the most observant person.  Now it was off to Australia and hoping I didn’t smell too bad when Amanda and Monique picked me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment