Thursday, May 8, 2014

Working in the vineyard. Probably everything you didn’t care to know and missing the things you really did want to know



The day after I arrived was all about getting my work stuff sorted.  So I went to work in the morning with Ashlie.  I talked to Nikki to figure out my schedule and the paperwork I needed to have to work legally.  I had the appropriate visa, working holiday visa, but I also needed a New Zealand Bank account and an IRD number.  The bank account was pretty simple.  The bank sent me a letter to my house, to finish setting up the account.  So I would have that within the week.  The IRD was a bit more complicated.  I had to go to the post office and apply for it.  For some reason I thought I automatically got one when I applied for the Working Holiday Visa.  But no, I would get my IRD number in two weeks.  I started work on Friday, so I would just have to be on back pay for a while.

Thrusday (2 days in) was my birthday.  At 6:30AM Ashlie screamed HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  That lady is crazy.  She wanted to be the first person to wish me a happy birthday. Ashlie even made me a rum cake for my birthday, which we took to work to share.  Isn't she a sweetie?  After that it was a pretty relaxed day.  All I did was finish some of my paperwork.  To do this I had to barrow Ashlie’s bike.  I did a little bit of shopping and then headed back to the house to make bread and prepare dinner.  I made a honey wheat bread, steak and creamy risotto.  We had a few beers at Onitangi beach before dinner and then headed home for wine and steak.

Friday was my first day of work at the vineyard, and I had to get up early.  Work started at 7:30 but I had to leave the house at 6am.  There is a bus system in place on Waiheke, but it does not run regularly, more like once an hour.  My own transportation was much needed.  That day was quite easy, even with the early start.  We met Nikki before work and she told Cory (her full time employee)what to do and then we headed off to do it.  Sometimes she joined us, but there is so much to do on the vineyard that often time she’d be off doing other things, leaving us to do the easy stuff.  

That day we did leaf plucking.  For this you remove the lower leaves on the vines to help expose the grapes to the sun, and breezes.  This has to be done in such a way that the grapes are also still protected though, because otherwise you end up with sun burnt grapes or grapes exposed to the elements.  This is easy work, but also bad for your back if you are on the wrong side of the vine.  I wasn’t very quick at first, but it was easy to figure out.  
 
The rest of the day consisted of chasing birds and killing birds.  The birds are the main pests on the vines.  They get into the nets through tiny holes either near the canopy or the ground.  The holes are usually created by us; when the nets are put over the vines it’s easy to tear them when putting them in place. The nets are put over the vines in the first place to protect the vines from the birds.  They eat all the grapes or peck at them and spread disease.  Birds are pretty smart, if you just chase them out of the nets they come back.  They remember where the holes are and where all the juicy grapes are.  In order to ensure the crop stays good throughout the season you should really kill them.  


Bird scaring is ridiculous, no matter how gruesome the ending is.  To scare the birds we are encouraged to make as much noise as possible.  Some people sing, others just talk loudly to each other, but most just make weird noises.  I felt like I was just making a fool of myself, but in the end I relaxed and embraced the silliness of it.  I always wonder what the neighbors think when we are bird scaring; making noises like dogs, birds, fire engines and singing horribly off key.  Sometimes Nicky would come up with new things to help us bird scare.  I think her favorite, if only because the boys had to do it, was the plastic ribbon on a stick.  It made me feel like a cheerleader, shaking the shiny ribbon under bushes trying to scare the living daylights out of the birds.  Nikki also found a blow horn we could use as well, if we didn’t want our ears later.  Next season I wouldn’t be surprised if she buys New Years noise makers.


The cats I met in the vineyard were super fun.  We chatted while we worked all day.  I found the work relaxing, much different than teaching.  There isn’t much to think about, you just do your job and do it quickly.   At the end of the day Nicky told me there might not be much work in the vines until harvest, so I knew right then that I would need to find another job.  I asked the hospitality (wine tastings, weddings, conferences…) side of the vineyard if they had any work and Leslie (the boss) said yes.  I started at five that same day.  I succeeded on getting myself a week-day job and a weekend job! Whoo Hoo!  

I found out later that it wasn’t every weekend, only occasionally.  This ended up being good, because the vineyard became my full time gig.  During the week we did things like sewing up the holes in the nets, taking brooms and pushing the nets up to make them easier to come off later, more leaf plucking and bird scaring.  The days were long and hot, but defiantly worth it.  I would always come home covered in dirt, but I was learning so much about the vines and how to take care of them.  

Nicky is just a sweetie.  She’s super energetic and seems very passionate about her job.  She likes things getting done quickly and correctly.  This is much like me.  I respect her so much.  She works so hard in a man dominated field and does a great job.  She likes my work ethic and is also super flexible.  So if I needed to work the weekends for weddings or the cafe she would give me the Friday or Monday off so I get one or two days off a week.  Nicky seemed to like me enough to consider keeping me on for the pruning season that winter.  I like that idea as well.

Harvest happened a few weeks after I arrived.  This is the most stressful and busiest time of the year for any vineyard.  It’s good I got to Waiheke before the harvesting season because after it started lots of WHV people came around looking for jobs, but there were none left.  Everyone already had their crew, or had a contractor hired for harvest days.   Our main crew worked with college students from Auckland University.  Our vineyard is associated with the University.  It was donated to them by the Goldwater (owners) 2011.  The university created a wine science program and is the only program in New Zealand that has a vineyard used just for the students.  Part of the program is that the students have to put in mandatory hours in picking, and we needed pickers.  A big storm was coming in that weekend, so we needed to get all the white grapes in or we would lose them completely.  

 I tell you what, picking is just back breaking work.  You bend over all day clipping grapes that are at just the right height you have to bend your back just a little.  You have to make sure you know which grapes are nice and which are crap.  And I loved it, for the first few hours.  After lunch everyone gets a little bit cranky and achy.  Nicky went over all the different diseases before we picked to make sure we knew exactly what we were looking for.  I learned so much just from picking the grapes.  Unfortunately we had quite a bit of disease we had to look out for.  Powdery (link) was the main culprit in all the grapes this year.  In the beginning everyone was slow (except the seasoned workers), but you can’t be a perfectionist while picking or you will never finish.  And we sure as hell didn’t want to be picking until six or later.  Some of the college students were keen on making the perfect batch of wine, so it took them forever to pick a bin of grapes.  We only worked with them really the first week of harvest and then they sporadically helped out after that.  I’m sure they had more pressing subjects in their courses.  I just can’t see picking grapes as a super important class.  Over the whole harvest season we only stayed over our regular time, I think, once.  That’s pretty good for only having a crew of seven people.  We just must be super pickers!   

No comments:

Post a Comment