Friday, May 30, 2014

New Zealandy stuff

Here is a collection of things distinctly New Zealand that I have noticed while living here.  This list is not all New Zealand things.  Just what I have noticed or pertains to me.  Enjoy this quirky list.

Afghan - chocolate flavored cookie, usually made from cornflakes, covered in chocolate icing.  NOT a blanket or a person of Afghanistan decent.

All Blacks - New Zealand's number one sports team.  These big beefy guys play Rugby and people are nuts about them, as they should be.  They're good, very good.  they have been awarded team of the year on many occasions and have won the Rugby Wold Cup countless times.  When you come to New Zealand you will see All Black signs on the sides of barns, advertised on restaurant menus, and on every article of clothing you could imagine.  Who doesn't want a pair of All Black undies?  Or All Blacks in their undies? 


Thank you All Blacks for signing a three year deal with Jockey!

Aluminum - This was the first New Zealand word I came across and by chance in Korea.  My friend Dominic introduced me to the proper pronunciation of aluminum while we were cooking for one of our well loved Midumhanaro (apartment building) dinners.  It's pronounced al-u-min-ee-um, not a-lume-min-um, like those thick headed Americans say.  ;)  tomato tomato.  *shrugs*

ANZAC - A holiday, a cookie and short for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.  The holiday is like Memorial Day in the United States.  Everyone pays respect to the soldiers that served in WWI and WWII, especially the soldiers that died in the battle of Gallipoli, in Turkey.  The cookies were traditionally baked and then sent to the soldiers in care packages.  I love the cookies.  They are made of coconut, ginger, oats, golden syrup and a few other things.  My wwoofing host, Rikki, makes amazing ANZAC cookies.  Here is a recipe similar to what she makes, but I would add some raisins or cranberries too.




aubergine - eggplant

Aye/eh - A positive sound.... like yeah.  That was good, eh? = That was good, right?


bickies - A shortened form of biscuit, meaning cookie.

gum boots - Wellys, rain boots, rubber boots.  Everyone has them, I mean everyone.  Even 2 year olds.  They are super stylish.  You could even wear them to the pub.  Probably derived from the shoes the gum diggers wore.  I'm picking up my first pair in one week.

courgette- zucchini 

chips - french fries

chook - chicken

crisps - potato chips

dairy - A corner/convenience store.  The most common dairy is a Four Square.

duvet - A comforter.  Whenever I say comforter instead of duvet I am corrected.  I'm not sure why this is.

flash - something fancy or new.  I often hear about people with flash boats or houses.



haka - A traditional New Zealand war dance.  Originally used to intimidate enemies, now used before games and often taught in school.  They make funny faces, you should check it out.

Pūkana, or the facial expression used during the Haka


heaps - Ashlie got me saying this word.  It means a lot.  Ex: There was heaps of rain the other day.

hen party - A bachelorette party.  The male equivalent is a stag party.

hokey pokey - Deliciousness is what this is, especially in ice cream.  Hokey pokey are small bits of honeycomb toffee.  The ice cream is just vanilla ice cream with these yummy bits in it.

ice block - ice pop, Popsicle

Jandles: thong sandals or flip flops

Keen -to want to do something. I'm keen on that. = I like that idea.  I'm keen to go.  I really want to go... this sort of thing.  Also another word that Ashlie got me saying, and she's not even a Kiwi!

kererū

kererū - New Zealand wood pigeon, beautiful and has a distinctive wing noise from an extra feather.

Kia Ora - If someone says Kia Ora to you, don't freak out.  They are just saying Hi or Welcome, basically a formal greeting.  Sometimes it means thank you and goodbye.

kiwi (3) - kiwi bird: the native and national bird to New Zealand. Kiwi fruit: a popular fruit of New Zealand, but originally from china. Kiwi: A New Zealand citizen.

lolly - candy

I steal blatantly from the internet
maori - The native New Zealand people. Like in North America we have Native Americans and First Nations people. The Maori are an important part of the New Zealand culture. Their language is widely spoken and their history is taught in New Zealand National curriculum. They still have villages all over and actively participate in the New Zealand government.

marmite - A yeast based spread, usualy  used on toast. It's very salty and you only need a little.

op shop - Opportunity shop or second hand shop. This is were I do almost all of my shopping. I got my giant backpack there for $6.

pukeko
pukekeo - A really cool native bird.

pavloava - A meringue based desert. Topped with cream and fresh fruit. There is a war between New Zealand and Australia of who really owns this tasty dessert. I've been making it since I was a young girl when mom asked me to make her one.



pissed - Drunk

rubbish - trash. I get made fun of for saying trash can. It's rubbish bin. Get it right!

Sleepout - A small accomidation, usually consisting of a bedroom. Sometimes they have a kitchen or bathroom attached.

Sweet As - Awesome, or something good. I have not started saying this phrase yet.

Tea - Dinner

 
Tui - Native bird that lives around my house.  Makes a ton of noise.  It's has two voice boxes, so it can imitate almost anything and makes clicks and noise from trees and humans.

Zed - The letter Z.  It still takes me a minute when people say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment