Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Relaxing in Germany

Sleeper train, sleeper train... I didn't know what to expect when the lady at the desk booked me for the middle cot in the sleeper train.  I now know.  Six people in one compartment, I have one above and one below and three to one side... well one side of mine was luggage.  It really wasn't as bad as I thought when I first saw my situation.

The Chinese ladies below me put there luggage on the bed right across from mine, so I got some privacy.  And, actually, I had the best view.  I could actually see out the window, no one else could while they were laying down.  In the end the only thing that really bothered me was I was unable to sit up in my cot and there was no plug.   It was quite nice and a relaxing way to travel.  I even got a pastry and coffee in the morning.

Katrina picked me up from the train station and took me straight to her house.   Her apartment is awesome!  It has a loft and a balcony and a kitchen that is basically like a green house it has so many windows.  And the view, man, I could stay out there all night and watch people and the sky.

That day was basically getting myself acquainted with her neighborhood.  I did a lot of wandering.  I found falafels everywhere and Turkish food.  I also discovered lots and lots of second hand shops.  This was amazing to me.  In Korea they believe a person's spirit stays in possessions, so second hand stores are far and few in between.  You never know, if you wear a dead person's clothing they could come back and haunt you.

The next day I bought a winter coat for 9 euros and an awesome belt.  I love thrift stores and kinda wish I wasn't traveling so I could buy ALL THE THINGS.  That day we also took a train down south to Neurenberg.  Katrina had a race, so we stayed with some of her friends there.

Nuerenberg is one of those quaint cities you think you would see in classic films.  It's very German.  It's also where the Nazis started.  So it's got more than a slice of a history, and because of that history it was bombed to pieces and then rebuilt later.  People in this area are still super conservative and some times you even have to sign a contract when you get your job that says you were never a member of the Hilter Youth.  

Besides the Nazi part it was really cool.  It's a walled city and has a lovely river running in the middle of the town.  It also has a castle and all these adorable houses and bridges.  I loved walking around there.  One of my favorite points of the town, besides the wall and the lovely river that runs through it, was the fountain that showed the seven stages of marriage.  If you have time you should check it out.  It's hilarious.


I did some wandering and some cheering.  The whole time I was checking out the town Katrina was running a half marathon.  All over the place there were places where I could stop and cheer a bit with the other people that came to support the runners.  I find that cheering for everyone is the best, it's really motivating to have people supporting you that don't even know you.  And anyone running a half marithon or  whole one is pretty impressive.  Katrina did really well on her half marathon!  We celebrated before and after with lots of yummy food and beer as you can see here.  Katrina's friend Phila cooked one dinner of lasagna and a fresh mozzarella tomato basil salad and Katrina and Myf cooked the other with root vegetables, cheesy cauliflower, beets a bread tower and a beautiful roast.  Both were delicious!!! Yum.  It was odd the sit and watch people cook but relaxing as well.  I'm so used to cooking for others.




After Nuerenberg Katrina and I headed out to Bamberg, the oldest city in Germany.  It was beautiful as well.  Also, a perfect way to spend some time before we headed back to the busy Berlin.  In Bamberg I had some smoked beer that was just delicious.  It actually tasted like bacon.  My Aunt would be in heaven, I was in heaven.  In Bamberg there is a monastery with a magnificent view.  Old buildings on the water and just beautiful bridges everywhere.  It was a good time.

The next day we were back in Berlin and I had some exploring to do.  Katrina came along with me as we wandered through all the flea markets.  Second hand shopping is really popular and the markets are nearly everywhere on Sundays.  I think I went to three that day alone.  After Katrina went home I was lucky enough to meet up with Nina and her boyfriend and walk around.  We found Oktoberfest, even though it was officially over.  No beers were drunk, because it was too touristy (or expensive).  We had a fabulous dinner and a few beers later.  I would say a day well played.

The next day was an alone day for me, so I took the bus and then walked to museum island and tried to find the holocaust Museum.  Instead of the museum I found the memorial.  Which was stunning.  After that I just wandered and found some more great graffiti art and more of the Berlin Wall.  That night I made Katrina dinner of empenadas and a salad before we said our good byes and I went to the train station. 




1 comment:

  1. You are meeting so many cool people! And good to know that Oktoberfest is overprices... it's expected. But good info!

    ReplyDelete